Join/Renew Your US Sailing Membership
Providing Leadership, Integrity and Advancement for the sport
of sailing in the United States
US Sailing was originally organized as the North American Yacht Racing Union (NAYRU)
on October 30, 1897. As the National Governing Body for the sport of sailing, the
organization works to achieve its mission through a wide range of programs and services
geared towards promoting participation in sailing and providing a level playing field
for all sailors.
US Sailing sets the course for sailors to enjoy the sport for a lifetime. For those just
beginning, US Sailing ensures that they will learn from experienced and certified
instructors who are trained using a national standards and an acclaimed curriculum.
For sailing programs and one-design sailing organizations, US Sailing’s National Sailing
programs and one-design Sailing Symposiums bring together experts who address
the latest developments in these fields of the sport. Young sailors just starting out in
the sport can learn about sailboat racing through one of many Junior Olympic sailing
festivals organized by US Sailing every year.
For racing sailors, US Sailing ensures integrity on the course and a level playing field
by training and certifying race officials, judges, and umpires and by maintaining
standardized rules and sailing instructions. the 18 National Championships organized
by US Sailing offer various disciplines of racing where sailors test their skills against the
best in the country.
US Sailing provides handicap rating certificates and safety programs for sailboat owners
who enjoy competing in offshore events. for sailors aiming to represent the USA at the
Olympic and Paralympic Games, US Sailing trains, selects, and manages the national
sailing team, US Sailing Team AlphaGraphics.
In this US Sailing Member handbook, you’ll learn more about these programs and how
you can be involved in our mission.
Gary Jobson Jack Geirhart
President Executive Director
As a member of US Sailing you receive many benefits from the organization and our
Membership Benefits Include:
• 50% off Hobie Polarized Sunglasses
• 25% off Sperry Top-Sider footwear online
• 15% off the Best Available Rate at Hilton Hotels
• 5% discount on Moorings charters
• $15.00 off West Marine coupon
• Access to Gowrie Group’s boat, home/auto, and business insurance
• Compete in US Sailing Championships (must qualify)
• Discounts at the US Sailing online store
• Copy of the Racing Rules of Sailing
• Discounted subscriptions to Sailing World & Cruising World Magazines
• Eligible for Group Health Insurance (restrictions apply)
• Discounts on North U. Seminars