ARC Delmarva Rally
Sailing around the “island” shared by Delaware, Maryland and Virginia (DelMarVa) is often the first big trip for Chesapeake Bay sailors and it is a great way to gain valuable planning and passage making experience. This past weekend our partners at the World Cruising Club hosted an information session on the trials and tribulations of an DelMarVa in preparation for their June event and our own Jahn Tihansky was there to share his experiences on sailing this cruising classic. A copy of his presentation can be found here: Navigating the Delmarva Peninsula.
J World Annapolis will be sailing this event this year too. If you are interested in learning more about our upcoming DelMarVa cruising program, please contact us.
Cruise with friends and experience offshore sailing in the Atlantic. ARC DelMarVa is the perfect opportunity to expand your horizons and gain experience sailing overnight and in the ocean, in the company of friends and with an experienced support staff not far away. The event is unique in the WCC portfolio, as it’s locally focused and organized from WCC USA’s home base in Annapolis by experienced Chesapeake Bay sailors, with the support of the local marine industry.
Sail 450 nautical miles under the full moon from Annapolis to Annapolis, counter-clockwise around the DelMarVa Peninsula over the course of a week. The rally is divided into three legs, each with their own distinct pleasures and challenges, and with stopovers en route to explore the area, meet friends and unwind with a party or two.
After the start off Annapolis, Leg 1 has yachts sailing the 130 miles overnight down the Bay to Portsmouth, VA, following the same route as the annual Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race. The start is timed so that most yachts will arrive in daylight to navigate the busy channels of Hampton Roads. Leg 2 heads offshore, for the 150-mile jaunt into the Atlantic. After another stop along the Delaware Bay, Leg 3 sees yachts home again via the C&D Canal to Annapolis to complete the circle.
Before you even get to the start, we help with your preparations by providing a comprehensive Rally Handbook and regular newsletters, and we’re here to help you find crew and answer your questions by phone or email.
From Time of Registration:
● ARC DelMarVa Rally Handbook and confirmation pack (including special offers)
● ARC DelMarVa flag
● ARC DelMarVa Newsletter (4 during build up to event) – advice about participation/equipment
● Discounted chart and pilot book order service
● Attendance to a full-day seminar on April 25, 2015, on offshore sailing and DelMarVa route planning and navigation. *This seminar is mandatory for at least 2 crew members
In Annapolis, pre-start:
● Welcome Pack
● ARC DelMarVa number banner (if required by organizers)
● Captains’ Briefing (including weather information)
● Farewell party
During the Rally:
● Float plan filed with USCG
● Radio net (run between the boats)
● Daily weather forecast
● Tracking of yacht positions, including loan of a satellite tracker
● Display of positions on ARC DelMarVa event website
In Portsmouth at completion of Leg 1
● Dinner in historic downtown Portsmouth
● Special pricing on dockage and services
● Captain’s Briefing before Leg 2 start
On Delware Bay at completion of Leg 2:
● Welcome party
● Captain’s Briefing for C&D Canal and Leg 3
In Annapolis, after Leg 3
● Welcome on arrival
● ARC DelMarVa awards ceremony